Interview with Cathy Wilson, Chairwoman of the Morris Township Democratic Committee

Back to Article
Back to Article

Michael Goldberg, Writer

Have you ever wondered what it takes to run the town? Well, I have, and I’m about to find out! Cathy Wilson is a politician and the chairwoman of the Democratic Committee of Morris Township. I had the honor of interviewing Ms. Wilson to find out more about her position and work with Morris School District.

MG: How long have you lived in Morris Township?

CW: I’ve lived in Morris Township for 12 years.

MG: What is your new position in the Township Committee?

CW: I’m on the Township Committee. I don’t have a position yet, but I am the Chairwoman of the Morris Township Democratic Committee. I want to be in some of these sub-committees: Communications and Parks and Recreation.

MG: How do you feel about your job so far?

CW: I really like it so far.

MG: What is the main thing that you will work on with your job?

CW: I will fulfill the promises I made in my campaign, such as recieve grant money, make a ride program for the seniors, and make a Green Team to raise environmental awareness.

MG: How do you plan on helping Morris Township?

CW: I will attempt to create more internships and apprentice jobs in Morris Township for students.

MG: Do you work with the schools?

CW: Kind of; I work with the School Resource Officers Juan and Tia.

MG: Next question, how can you help kids in Morris Township?

CW: I will work with kids in high school on videos, where they will record and edit our meetings. I will expand opportunities with kids in school as well.

MG: Let’s see how that continues. Do you have any advice for middle schoolers?

CW: Stay in school, don’t do drugs, be active in things you like, and a quote from Joseph Campbell, “Follow your bliss!”

MG: Final question, what is your favorite middle school memory?

CW: It was when I won the sportsmanship award for field hockey in 7th or 8th grade.

That’s it for the interview! It was very exciting for me to interview Ms. Wilson; I learned a lot about her.  If you are interested in learning more about government, don’t be afraid to reach out to one of your local elected officials; they can teach you a lot!