Homework: The Essential Work of the Student

Emily Bongo, Writer

Imagine your grade has dropped dangerously low, almost unable to pass the year. There are many ways to help your grade, but there is one way that works phenomenally. Would you spend a little amount of time to help your grade become higher? Most people look at homework as a waste of time but really, homework allows parents to be involved in their child’s learning, helps students develop good study and life habits, and improves grade average throughout the year.

To begin, homework allows parents to be involved in their child’s learning because now that grades and lessons are online, parents can track their children’s progress and help them with what they need. Procon.org, a site that lists the negatives and positives of contemporary issues, states, “Homework can also help clue parents in to the existence of any learning disabilities their children may have, allowing them to get help and adjust learning strategies as needed”(procon.org 1). This proves that homework can be helpful and even in some cases life changing for the better. If parents could not be involved in the lessons and grades, then they may not recognize their child’s grade dropping until report cards come out.

Additionally, homework helps students develop good study and life habits because they learn responsibility in remembering to complete and turn in their homework. They also learn discipline if they don’t do their homework such as their grade average dropping. Procon.org states, “Homework helps students to develop key skills that they’ll use throughout their lives, such as accountability, autonomy, discipline, time management, self-direction, critical thinking, and independent problem-solving” (procon.org 1).  This shows that only time and practice can help students develop these skills that will help them throughout their lives.

Continuing, homework improves student grades and achievements. Homework helps the student brain grasp the concepts learned in class to raise grades and earn achievements. In high school, students’ top priority is to be admitted to college. Homework is practice that can lift your SATs and ACTs scores. These tests are important because most colleges look at students’ scores to help decide whether or not they will be successful at the school. According to the site procon.org, ‘“Research published in the High School Journal indicates that students who spent between 31 and 90 minutes each day on homework ‘scored about 40 points higher on the SAT-Mathematics subtest than their peers, who reported spending no time on homework each day, on average” (procon.org 1).’ This proves that getting a higher score on the tests you take on high school is a big achievement and helps students seek higher education in good colleges.

Hence, in other people’s minds, homework is useless and wasteful, but homework actually helps students develop good study and life habits, improve grade average throughout the year, and it allows parents to be involved in their child’s learning. So the next time you complain about homework, think about low grades and aren’t happy because of how much homework has been assigned, try to remember about the positivity of homework, and how it could beneficially impact your future.

Works Cited

“Is Homework Beneficial? – Top 3 Pros and Cons.” ProConorg Headlines, www.procon.org/headline.php?headlineID=005411.