What is Social Anxiety Disorder?

What is Social Anxiety Disorder?

Daniel Tuck, Staff Writer

Have you ever been shy or nervous in situations with a lot of people? It’s a very common problem within our society, and it’s called social anxiety disorder.

What is social anxiety disorder?
Social anxiety disorder is a mental health condition where you experience intense and ongoing fear of being judged negatively and/or watched by others. A variety of social experiences can trigger this, and many teens and middle school students have experienced this as well. It is the fear of judgment, simply put.

Symptoms
If you have a social anxiety disorder, you have anxiety or panic in social situations. For example, you might feel intense discomfort in the following situations:
Meeting new people
Performing in front of many people
Taking or making phone calls
Using public restrooms
Asking for help in a restaurant, store, or other public place
Answering a question in front of many people.
Eating in front of people
Participating in an interview

Types
A main characteristic of social anxiety is that the victim is afraid of being judged, rejected, and/or humiliated. This can lead to depression and becoming shut out from the world if the victim embraces the fear.
Mild social anxiety: A victim of mild social anxiety may experience the symptoms of social anxiety but still participate in most social situations, although may also experience symptoms in more difficult social situations.
Moderate social anxiety: A victim of mild social anxiety may experience physical and psychological symptoms of social anxiety but still take part in some social situations while avoiding many other social situations.
Extreme social anxiety: A person with extreme social anxiety may experience more intense symptoms of social anxiety, such as a panic attack. Because of this, people with extreme social anxiety usually avoid social situations at all costs. A victim of extreme social anxiety likely has symptoms in all or most social situations.

Conclusion
Ultimately, social anxiety is a melancholy and vast disorder that affects many. It’s best to simply respect a friend that’s been affected by it and their choices, and understand their point of view. Next time your friend backs out of a hangout, think before you speak; maybe they have something else going on, something you couldn’t imagine.

Works Cited –
Cleveland Clinic Organization (https://my.clevelandclinic.orghealth/diseases/22709-social-anxiety)