Trending Foods Over the Pandemic

Ryan Geraghty, Writer

Days ago, the world reached one full year of COVID- 19, interfering with the way we have learned. Collectively as teachers and students, we all have had to adjust to this new way of getting things done, whether it be about school, work, or just daily tasks one would do before this pandemic rocked the world. But one essential all over the world people have been experimenting through the years and centuries, is the delicacy we call food. Recently throughout the past year, humans have discovered even more ways to make our food and drinks even more creative, and delectable. 

The beginning of quarantine was horrible for so many people. Although most students were excited about our two-week break, we soon came to realize it would be a nightmare. Stores were running of out food across the globe, including canned vegetables, meats, snacks, and even water. On the other hand, many people started to turn over a new leaf and try to try new food diets such as Keto or maybe becoming vegan or vegetarian. Most people started taking advice from all types of social media. This includes one of the biggest platforms in today’s time, Tik-Tok. Tik-Tok has been popular long before this pandemic even started, but with people’s boredom and free time growing, Tik-Tok decided to gain even more traction, especially in the culinary world by sharing some very tempting recipes.

Baked Feta Pasta

This dish is fairly new and upcoming. It started trending very quickly, sprouting on Tik-Tok as the dish made its way into homes around the world. 

Ingredients

• 2 pt. cherry or grape tomatoes
  • 1 shallot, quartered
  • 3 cloves garlic, smashed (optional)
  • 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • Kosher salt
  • Crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 (8-oz.) block feta
  • 3 sprigs thyme 
  • 10 oz. pasta
  • Zest of 1 lemon (optional)

Directions:

1. First you want to preheat your oven to 400°. 
  2. In a medium sized baking dish you need to combine your tomatoes, shallots, garlic, most your olive oil, and season with salt and red pepper flakes. 
  3. Then mix all together. 
  4. Afterwards, you’re going to place the block of feta in the center of your dish, then pour the remaining olive oil on top, and scatter the thyme on the tomatoes. 
  5. When your done with this, your dish is going to go into the oven for 40-45 minutes until you see the top of the is golden and the tomatoes are bursting. 
  6. While that is in the oven, you’re going to cook the pasta. Have a large pot with salted water, and follow cooking instructions on the package. 
  7. Before draining the pasta, be sure to save ½ cup of the pasta water. 
  8. When your feta dish is done cooking, your going to mix with the pasta, and add all the seasonings you want. 

Hot Chocolate Bombs

Over the winter, these treats became popular, and fast! Although many didn’t think to make them by hand, candy stores and local shops were selling them, and they were off the shelves in no time. When making these bombs, the time and effort may be at a large sum, but at the end you’ll have an amazing mug of hot chocolate next to you. 

Ingredients:

• ⅔ cup (133g) granulated sugar
  • ⅓ cup (39g) cocoa powder
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 6 tablespoons chocolate milk powder, divided
  • 3 tablespoons mini marshmallows, divided
  • 1 silicone chocolate bomb mold

Directions

1. First you’re going to mix the ⅔ granulated sugar, ⅓ cocoa powder, and a pinch of salt until well combined in a small bowl. (then set aside)
  2. Fill a medium pot almost halfway with water. Bring the water to a simmer over low heat.
  3. Place a heat-safe bowl (glass or stainless steel) that can just fit on top of the pot of simmering water, but leaves a gap between the water and bottom of the bowl.
  4. Add the chocolate chips to the bowl. Keep the heat on low and use a rubber spatula to stir the melting chocolate chips until smooth. 
  5. When done, remove the bowl but keep the water out as it will be used for later use. 
  6. Take your melted chocolate and add a heaping spoonful of the melted chocolate to each of the six chocolate molds. Use the spoon to spread the chocolate up the sides of each mold. Make sure the entire inside of each mold is evenly coated with chocolate. (Save extra chocolate to use later.)
  7. Freeze the chocolate for 10 minutes, or until completely set.
  8. Once set, carefully remove the chocolate cups from the mold, placing them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  9. Flip over three of the molds to be filled. Fill each of the three halves with 2 tablespoons of the chocolate milk powder and 1 tablespoon of mini marshmallows.
  10. Place the other three halves, seam-side down, on a separate baking sheet. Place the sheet on top of the pot of warm water over low heat to slightly melt the rims of the molds.
  11. With gloves on (so you don’t leave fingerprints) cover each filled chocolate half with an empty half, sealing it.
  12. Decorate with any extra melted chocolate, sprinkles, and other candies. (optional)
  13. To make hot chocolate, add a chocolate bomb into a mug. Slowly pour about 1½ cups of hot milk over the bombs and stir. 

Chocolate Chip Cookie Mug Cake

This treat is my personal favorite. Although people have been making these for quite a while now, they started to gain traction again towards early quarantine, into the summer of 2020. There are many different kinds of flavors you can make such as just a simple chocolate recipe, funfetti, and others. In stores you can even find Mug Cakes that are being sold by the well known brand Betty Crocker. Best of all, this recipe below is simple and easy to make!

Ingredients:

• 1 table spoon butter
  • 1 table spoon granulated sugar
  • 1 table spoon brown sugar
  • 1 table spoon milk
  • ⅓ teaspoon vanilla
  • ⅓ teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 
  • Chocolate chips (optional amount)

Directions:

1. First get out any mug of choice. (preferably small) 
  2. Then take your butter and melt until softened. 
  3. Next, add your butter into the mug and add all of the ingredients in the order above and mix till smooth. 
  4. Then most importantly add as many chocolate chips as you want! 
  5. When all of your ingredients are combined together, your going to put it in the microwave for 30 second intervals until the batter is cooked to your desire, or all the way through. 

Works Cited:

Lauren Miyashiro Food Director Lauren Miyashiro is the Food Director for Delish.com. “Confirmed: The Baked Feta Pasta That’s Blowing Up On Tik-Tok Is Worth The Hype.” Delish, 3 Mar. 2021, www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a35421563/baked-feta-pasta-tiktok/.

Rettke–iambaker.net, Author: Amanda, et al. “Easy Hot Chocolate Bombs (VIDEO).” i Am Baker, 30 Dec. 2020, iambaker.net/hot-chocolate-bombs/.

“Microwave Cookie | Eggless Mug Chocolate Chip Cookie + Vegan Option.” YouTube, YouTube, 1 Sept. 2019, www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCrG-Ms5Sc8&list=WL&index=2.